Tuesday 11 June 2013

Ordinary Days

This is the latest of several blogs I've started, all with good intention. I've never managed to become a really dedicated blogger, despite having a love of writing, drawing and photography; all things that should put me in good stead to become much more creatively prolific than I am.

My husband and I recently relocated from a regional city up to a capital city. Right-o, I thought, being around all that urban creativity will inspire me to be much more creative myself. Well, nope. I spent the first two months in a kind of daze, trying to readjust. Looking for a new job with a bit more security and inner fulfillment than my current casual position (that I was still lucky to be able to continue when I moved). Being successively more and more deflated with the job search in a trying and uninspiring market. (And is there anything more depressing than the rampant fakery and oily enthusiasm that comes with job hunting? Ugh) Starting two short stories that trailed off into nothingness after the first page. Finding a few short courses that commenced a few weeks before we got here.

Wondering what on earth I was going to do with the next year, and with my life.

And as always, when faced with a large, future altering decision...I did nothing.

Well scratch that. I did the dishes. I did the laundry and went for a few walks by the river. But what I was doing wasn't enough. I mean, there's only so many times you can watch re-runs of Medium on the IQ.

So this morning, I brought out my DSLR from its neglected spot under the computer nook. It's such an awesome piece of kit and I love it so much, it really is baffling why I don't use it more. Then I turned it off Auto and put it on Manual.

And I took some astoundingly bad photos.

But I had more fun with it than I've had in ages. And I learned a lot. (The first thing being, I know diddly-squat about how my beloved camera really works.) And I took a few good photos too.

So, I've decided I'm going to update this blog at least a couple of times a week. I've changed the title and hopefully improved the energy behind it too.

Just the ordinary days.

Les jours ordinaires.

Lapin

No comments:

Post a Comment