Wednesday 12 June 2013

Where There's Coffee....


 
 
Another day... And by gum, I actually woke up this morning feeling like I did in fact want to write a blog post. And maybe take a few photos. And do something creative. 

So the first thing I did is get up and make a coffee, and let my rabbit Jojo out to play in the backyard.

This sort of enthusiasm for me feels quite unusual. And so my first - and probably counter intuitive - instinct is to sit down somewhere quiet to think about it until it goes away. Over thinking I'm sure is the bane of my existence, and what has eventually short-circuited almost all my large scale creative endeavours. 

But as I'm sitting here I'm actually starting to get more ideas, not less, and that's really unusual. Possibly my brain is seeking to find arty and crafty outlets to churn over rather than the other things in my life that are keeping me up at night - balancing the books, divining my career path (which to be honest is more of a suggestion of an overgrown mountain track at this point), figuring out how to claw back the savings we spent moving to our lovely new home.

I'm not sure what circuit in my brain is taking me from looking over bills to making pompoms...but right now I'm sort of glad that it is. Because it's making me happier. I know deep down the bills will always get paid - somehow they always do. (I'm not the type to default, I feel too guilty!) And I realize that's what great about arts and crafts is that they deposit your mind firmly in the 'now'. Making is always a 'now' moment. 

So outside on our back patio, with Jojo hopping blissfully out amongst the clover, I brought up the 'Paper' app on my iPad and started to sketch. I know that the quote goes 'Where there's tea, there's hope' - but in my experience I drink tea when I'm already pretty calm, maybe sitting down for a chat with family. It's coffee I drink when I need to get going and get energized. That's when I need my hope. 

Lapin

No comments:

Post a Comment